Unfortunately, our emergency service has seen some recent cases of lily ingestion by cats. Many cat owners are unaware that lilies are lethally toxic to their feline friends – and we want to help get the word out!
Cats can suffer fatal kidney failure just from biting into a lily leaf or petal, licking lily pollen from their paws, or drinking water from a vase with cut lilies in it.
All members of the Lilium group produce a chemical that can damage cat kidneys. (Calla lilies and peace lilies are not of the Lilium group, and although they are not harmless to cats if ingested, these plants do not cause renal failure.)
If you think your cat may have chewed on or ingested lily, don’t wait for signs of illness: Seek veterinary care immediately. And if you live with cats, keep lilies out of your home!
Image via the ASPCA toxic/nontoxic plant database (a helpful resource to bookmark!) > http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants